Monday, June 15, 2009

"Devin's Story Of How It All Began"

The real story behind how Devin came into this world. It all started with a regular prenatal appointment for mommy on March 17th to be exact. Everything was going great as usual until it came time to measure my belly, one problem it hadn't grown. I remember looking at Dr. sloan and distinctly asking "Is everything okay?" She answered with "In a short sentence, yes probably". So then I felt a little relief, but not much honestly. She sent Chris and I up with an appointment for a ultrasound. Boy was I one nervous mommy that day, I just knew something didn't seem right. So I decided to look in "What to Expect When Your Expecting" book, sure enough I had found my condition and it wasn't looking good. In a nutshell it is called placental disfunction, causing growth restriction to the baby (yikes). Well I knew then that it was what was going on, all of the symptoms seemed to fit. I decided to not stress and sleep easy until the next day of our appointment. Chris kept telling me he didn't think anything was wrong, but I knew that something was in my gut. Long story short we got to the ultrasound the next day, I remember the time even. It was March 18th @ 1:30pm. Things were going okay, but I could feel the tension in the room from the tech, I softly asked her "Is everything okay?" She was just doing her job and answered "Well he is really small". I knew it then, I knew I was right. My heart sank, the tech looked at us both and said the Dr. will be in shortly. I was trying not to panic, but I felt tears coming on. I was only 32 1/2 weeks pregnant I knew this couldn't be good. Thankfully once the Dr. got in the room she was a little more compassionate. She explained what was going on and made it seem not to big of a deal, she did say I would immediately go to bed rest though. I was so nervous, because then I realized okay it was serious again, then she proceeded to tell us that they would like to atleast get me to 34 weeks. Huh what? I started crying all I could think in my head is no he is to small, to soon, this shouldn't be happening, and why me? I asked the Dr. "You mean delivering him"? She said yes and tried to calm me down, I was just wanting off of the emotional roller coaster. Then they sent me to another room for what they call non-stress tests, along with a biophysical ultrasound on Devin. It was to test his movements and make sure that he wasn't getting sick. He barely passed the test, and I knew again this isn't going to go anywhere good, I could feel it. Just then the nurse came back in saying that my OB (Dr. Sloan) wanted to have me admitted for 24 hour observation. My heart sank again I looked at Chris and began to cry again. All I could think was call my mom, please now. So we went down we got checked into Labor and Delivery @ St. Mark's Hospital. I never thought I would be getting checked in there so soon, that is all I could keep thinking. Well I will press fast forward here a little, the next day before we were discharged they had to give me a steroid shot in my hip. It was for Devin's sake to help strengthen his lungs (they were prepping for possible delivery by the following week). Now that was not fun I would say that almost hurt worse then the spinal block, no joke. Once we were home we were set to bed rest for the weekend, until we could get back to my OB on that Monday. The weekend couldn't go fast enough, I didn't move for 3 days straight for fear of something happening. I was aware of what was going on now, and I wasn't going to risk anything. This would conclude how this whole journey began before Devin's delivery time.

2 comments:

  1. what a little chub. what a story, it made me cry when you said call my mom...........you have one of the best and I'm lucky to call her my best friend.Thanl god for people like her. I look at that little chub and think what a fighter and how lucky he is to have good parents and great grandparents....LOVE U ALL aunt deb (maloney)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ummm...thank goodness he made it, and is so healthy now! Devin I hope you realize what your mommy did for you to come in to this world! Cari just show him this when he's a teenager... he'll think twice, before saying something like you don't care about me! You look great Mommy Duncan!

    ReplyDelete